History of Market Street
The intersection of Broad and Market Streets marks the famous Four Corners intersection of Newark, NJ. As the city of Newark commenced its vast growth following its founding in 1666, Four Corners became a local hotspot for business and commerce.
The heart of the city continued to flourish into the 20th century as the modern business district witnessed the construction of their first skyscraper—built by the Fireman’s Insurance Company in 1910.
At the turn of the millennium, Four Corners found itself as the focal point of downtown Newark’s retail, restaurant, and residential revitalization. Today, Four Corners is a part of the U.S. National Register of Historic Places, listed as a U.S. Historic District, and is a member of the New Jersey Register of Historic Places.
Market Street intersects with Mulberry Street at the location of the Prudential Center—Home of the New Jersey Devils. The Devils are often referred to as “Jersey’s Team” and have won three Stanley Cup Championships. The Prudential Center (a.k.a. “The Rock”) is also home to Seton Hall Pirates basketball games as well as an array of concerts.